How to migrate the content and approval from one WSUS server to another.
Today I had to setup a WSUS server where there was no Internet connectivity.
So, how do you get the updates!
Well, luckily, I have a WSUS server at home already full of updates. To move them to the new WSUS server, I did the following:
- Copy the contents of the "WsusContent" directory to removable drive.
- Export the approvals database by using: "%ProgramFiles%\Update Services\Tools\wsusutil export c:\export.cab c:\exportlog.txt
- I then copied the export.cab file and the WSUSContect directory to the new server.
- Once WSUS was installed on the new server, I setup the language, approval and sync settings to be the same as the source server.
- I then ran; "%ProgramFiles%\Update Services\Tools\wsusutil import c:\export.cab c:\exportlog.txt
The last part can take a while as it imports all the info into the database.
At that point you should have a WSUS server complete with approved updates and no Internet connection!
PS. Here is a link to the WSUS deployment guide: Link