Saturday, January 07, 2006

How to migrate the content and approval from one WSUS server to another.

Hi,

Today I had to setup a WSUS server where there was no Internet connectivity.

So, how do you get the updates!

Well, luckily, I have a WSUS server at home already full of updates. To move them to the new WSUS server, I did the following:

  1. Copy the contents of the "WsusContent" directory to removable drive.
  2. Export the approvals database by using: "%ProgramFiles%\Update Services\Tools\wsusutil export c:\export.cab c:\exportlog.txt
  3. I then copied the export.cab file and the WSUSContect directory to the new server.
  4. Once WSUS was installed on the new server, I setup the language, approval and sync settings to be the same as the source server.
  5. I then ran; "%ProgramFiles%\Update Services\Tools\wsusutil import c:\export.cab c:\exportlog.txt

The last part can take a while as it imports all the info into the database.

At that point you should have a WSUS server complete with approved updates and no Internet connection!

PS. Here is a link to the WSUS deployment guide: Link

7 Comments:

At 6:27 pm, Blogger Chris Lehr said...

Are you missing a step where you copy the data to the new server from the removable drive?

 
At 8:08 pm, Blogger Nathan Winters said...

Hi,

I think that is covered in step 3.

Is that what you meant?

Cheers
Nathan

 
At 3:24 pm, Blogger Mark Wilson said...

Nathan,
Thanks for posting this - it really helped me out. Unfortunately there is a slight inaccuracy in that the wsusutil import command only imports the update metadata (not the file, approvals, or server settings). More details can be found in my post on Migrating WSUS to a new server without downloading all the updates.

I'd have been stuck without your advice though - thanks :-)

Cheers, Mark

 
At 11:56 am, Blogger Nathan Winters said...

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the feedback and providing more info in your post.
Cheers
Nathan

 
At 8:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan,

My WSUS Server crashed.Unfortunately I don't have any exported database or metafile of WSUS. I have the entire updates with me.
Tell me is there ANY way that I can utilize the Updates which I downloaded (near about 10 GB) in a new installation?

Thanks
Merson

 
At 4:02 pm, Blogger Nathan Winters said...

Hi Merson,
Thanks for the comment.
To be honest I am not sure it has been a long time since I played with WSUS.
I guess you might be able to copy the updates and then point the new install to the directory but i'm affraid I don't know.
Sorry
Nathan

 
At 8:42 pm, Blogger digg1980 said...

A good full procedure that I found at one blog and used last week is found at
How to Move Microsoft WSUS services to another server


Hope it will work for the rest of you as well. enjoy.

diggmee
VirtualizationTeam.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home