Sunday, June 04, 2006

Memory Tester

Hi,

I have finally got round to investigating why my main VM box at home keeps crashing!

I had a hunch that it was a memory issue and went in search of something to prove it.

What I found was this:

Memtest86+

http://www.memtest.org/

You download the software which is very small (around 100Kb). Then extract it and use the install.bat to put it on a floppy. If you don't have a floppy any more then there are versions which will work on USB key or CD.

One thing that is important is when the copy to the floppy is complete make sure you press any key as requested in stead of just shutting the window, otherwise the floppy seems to corrupt!

Next, boot from the floppy and the testing will start automatically.

On my particular system, after about 6 hours of running it found a few errors! So now it looks like I need to try some new RAM!

Hope this is useful to someone.

Cheers

Nathan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home